The Camp of Vaussieux

Its history

     In August 1778, Louis XVI gathered an army of 35,000 soldiers in Normandy. Placed under the General Marshal de Broglie’s orders, the army of infantry, cavalry and artillery settles on the right bank of the Seulles more particularly in the territories of Vaux, Vaussieux, Esquay, The Manor, Saint Gabriel de Brécy ... Château de Vaussieux loaned by its owner the Marquis d'Héricy, becomes the headquarters of the Camp, which becomes « le Camp de Vaussieux ».

     Separated into two opposing armies, one commanded by General Marshal de Broglie and the other by the Count of Rochambeau and Baron Luckner, the soldiers compare two fighting tactics in vogue at this time in Europe: the slender order and the deep order.

 

     The reality is quite different and is happening against the backdrop of the US Independence War. For more than two years, George Washington's troops have been fighting for their freedom against the British army. They suffer many setbacks.

 

     To help them in the conflict, Louis XVI orders this gathering. The King wants to make the English fear a possible landing on their coasts. The aim is to keep a large part of the English shipping fleet docked, away from the New World Theater of Operations. This diversion is intended to diminish "military pressure" on Washington's army. Nevertheless France must engage militarily and declares the war with England in 1779. Several regiments present at Vaussieux will leave for America with the Count of Rochambeau in 1780 and will contribute to the victory of Yorktown which will allow the United States to accede to Independence.

 

"The Vaussieux Camp contributed to the Independence of the United States in a certain way"